Colombia's Top Immigration Law Firm

K1 Fiancé Visa

Get personalized expert guidance and K1 visa support for to be with your a fiancé in the U.S. Let us help you navigate the K-1 Fiancé Visa process smoothly and reunite with your loved one in the United States.

About The K1 Fiance Visa

Who Is It For? 

For individuals who want to be in together in the United States as quickly as possible, who want to have their wedding in the United States, or there is something preventing you from getting married abroad (family and friends, travel expenses, etc).

How Long Does It Last?

You will be initially granted 90 days to get married in the United States. After that 90 days you will be given a temporary Green Card that can then be changed to a regular 10 year green card.

We Specialize in Providing Guidance and Counsel to Those Seeking US Immigration Services From Colombia.

Whether you're looking to eventually become a US Citizen, or you just want to spend a long period of time in the country, we can advise you on the best process.

Work 1:1 With A Member of Our Team Throughout your entire process:

Our commitment to personalized service means that you will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with a dedicated immigration professional who will assist you every step of the way.

Reduced Stress

Focusing solely on Colombia and the United States streamlines our firm's operations, ensuring that you will consistently collaborate with professionals who possess expertise in your specific circumstances, and who are exclusively dedicated to the Colombian and U.S. immigration landscape.

Focused on US and Colombian Immigration Processes

Whether you're looking to secure a U.S. visa, obtain Colombian residency, or explore opportunities that bridge both nations, our dedicated team is well-equipped to provide tailored guidance, ensuring your journey is as smooth and successful as possible.

Your Partners

Daniela Cordoba
Founder and Lead Attorney

Daniela Cordoba is a lawyer specializing in immigration and commercial law. Daniela Cordoba has helped individuals and businesses live and operate in Colombia for over a decade. She also has training in compliance with the respective accreditations to serve as Compliance Officer.

Mike Funkhouser
Co-Founder and Client Support Lead

Mike co-founded Colombian Visa Services after moving to Colombia from the United States and finding the process of obtaining a visa difficult and frustrating. Daniela helped make the process so simple and stress-free that he partnered with her to provide the to help others.

Over 1,200 Visas Accepted

For the past decade we have been helping travelers secure visas to Colombia.

Personalized Support

We work with you 1:1 to ensure you not only have the best chance of getting approval, but that you have every one of your questions answers.

Fluent in English and Spanish

You don't have to worry about having to translate emails or communication, our team is fluent in English and can help you with whatever you need.

The K1 Visa Process

1. Apply For Your Visa

The K1 visa will allow you to travel to the United States to get married and typically takes 6-12 months to obtain.

2. Get Married in 90 days or less and get your green card.  

Once you have your visa, you'll have 90 days to get married.

3. Adjustment of Status:

Once you are married, you will be able to remain in the United States while you wait for your green card. The process of applying for this green card and changing your temporary status to permanent is called the adjustment of status.  

Man putting a ring on a woman's finger.

Eligibility Requirements For A K1 Fiance Visa

These are the specific requirements to apply for a US K1 Fiance Visa however you may be required to submit additional documentation throughout the application process to prove the validity of your relationship.

Both you and your fiancé must be single and eligible to be married under U.S. law.
The sponsoring partner must be a U.S. citizen.
You must have met in person at least once in the past two years.
This requirement can be waived for religious practices or in cases of extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen partner.
The U.S. citizen partner must meet certain income requirements.
The US Citizen must earn at least 100% of the federal poverty guidelines when applying for the fiancé visa, and earning 125% of these guidelines when the foreign partner applies for his or her green card (adjustment of status).

Peace of Mind Throughout Your Application Process

From your first questions, through the application process, until you receive your green card. We are with you every step of the way.

Contact Us Today To Learn More

Why Our Clients Love Us

We spend the time to get to know you and your story so your application is perfect the first time.

"I found the services rendered by Daniela Cordoba at Colombian Visa Services to be very professional, welcoming and, most importantly, efficacious.  What I was not able to do on my own for 8 months of trying,  Colombia Visa Services did in 2 months.  Daniela was always very prompt in responding to whatever questions I asked her via e-mail.  The initial free contact conversation was extremely beneficial.  The challenge was being able to remember all the helpful information that Daniela was sharing with me."

Robert R

"I would highly recommend Colombian Visa Services to anyone who needs advisory obtaining a Colombian Migrant Visa. Their exceptional service, combined with their expertise and efficiency, truly set them apart from other services. I am so grateful to have worked with them and will definitely use their services again when I need to renew. Thank you, Colombian Visa Services!"

Sophie M

"Colombian Visa Services were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable throughout the entire process. They were always available to answer my questions and provide guidance, which gave me a lot of confidence and peace of mind. They were also incredibly friendly and patient, which made the whole experience a pleasure."

Andy S

We are so very happy with Colombian Visa Services and Daniela! Years ago we were able to do our documents ourselves and it was so easy. As the years went, we had to get help with different visa services. The last we had was really not efficient and let my wife's documents lapse and it was a 6 month nightmare to get everything fixed. Daniela really KNEW what she was doing, was super helpful and professional and was so eager to help! My wife's renewal came in the VERY NEXT DAY! I highly recommend Colombian Visa Services to anyone who needs help getting or renewing their documents! Fast! Efficient! Knowledgeable! And very reasonably priced! And best of all, Daniela speaks English perfectly!

John G

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates
Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

Contact Us Today

We will help you every step of the way, so you can focus on the enjoying your new relationship without worrying about the paperwork.

Schedule A Consultation

Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about what you need to obtain a Colombian Retirement Visa and how we can help.

How long does it take to get a K1 fiancé visa?

The processing time for a K-1 fiancé visa can vary depending on various factors such as the workload of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office, the completeness and accuracy of the application, and the individual circumstances of the petitioner and beneficiary.

Generally, it can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months or even longer in some cases for the entire process to be completed, from the initial filing of the petition to the final visa issuance.

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

What are the requirements for a K1 fiancé visa?

To apply for a K-1 fiancé visa, you must meet certain eligibility requirements set by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Here are the basic requirements:

Intention to Marry: You and your fiancé must have a genuine intention to marry each other within 90 days of your fiancé's entry into the United States.

Legal Capacity to Marry: Both you and your fiancé must be legally eligible to marry according to the laws of the country or state where the marriage will take place.

Meeting in Person: You and your fiancé must have met each other in person at least once within the two years preceding the filing of the visa petition. There are limited exceptions to this requirement for cases where meeting in person would violate cultural or religious customs or would cause extreme hardship.

U.S. Citizenship of Petitioner: The petitioner (the U.S. citizen fiancé) must be a citizen of the United States.

Financial Support: The petitioner must demonstrate the ability to financially support the fiancé in the United States. This usually involves providing an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) along with evidence of income and financial resources.

No Legal Barriers: Both you and your fiancé must be admissible to the United States, meaning you cannot have certain criminal records or immigration violations that would render you ineligible for entry.

No Fraudulent Intent: You must not have any intent to engage in fraudulent immigration practices.

Medical Examination: The fiancé must undergo a medical examination by an approved physician to ensure they meet health requirements for entry into the United States.

Filing the Petition: The U.S. citizen petitioner must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, with USCIS. Once the petition is approved, it will be forwarded to the appropriate U.S. consulate or embassy for further processing.

Interview: The fiancé will need to attend an interview at the U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country to demonstrate their eligibility for the visa.

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

What is the 2 year rule for K-1 visa?

The "two-year rule" regarding the K-1 visa is related to the requirement that the petitioner and beneficiary must have met each other in person at least once within the two years preceding the filing of the visa petition.

This means that the couple must have physically met at least once within the two years immediately before the filing of Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé.This requirement is meant to ensure that the relationship between the U.S. citizen petitioner and the foreign fiancé is genuine and not solely based on a remote or online relationship.

However, there are exceptions to this rule in cases where meeting in person would violate cultural norms, religious customs, or cause extreme hardship to the petitioner.

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

Is a K-1 visa the same as a fiancé visa?

Yes! Fiancé Visa is just another name for the K-1 Visa.

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

Can my fiancé stay in the US while waiting for K-1 visa?

Your fiancé cannot stay in the United States while waiting for the K-1 visa to be processed. The K-1 visa is specifically designed for the foreign fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. However, the fiancé(e) must apply for and obtain the K-1 visa from a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad before entering the United States.

Once the K-1 visa is approved and issued, your fiancé(e) can travel to the United States. Upon arrival, you and your fiancé(e) must get married within 90 days. After the marriage takes place, your fiancé(e) can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States.

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

How do I prove my relationship is real for a fiancé visa?

Proving the genuineness of your relationship is a crucial aspect of the K-1 fiancé visa application process. Here are some ways to demonstrate the authenticity of your relationship:

Documentation: Provide documentary evidence of your relationship, such as photos together, travel itineraries showing trips you've taken together, communication records (e.g., emails, chat logs, social media messages), and any other documents that show your relationship has been ongoing and genuine.

Affidavits of Support: Submit affidavits from friends, family members, or other individuals who can attest to the authenticity of your relationship. These affidavits should detail how the individuals know you and your fiancé, how they have observed your relationship, and their belief in the legitimacy of your relationship.

Communication Evidence: Compile evidence of your ongoing communication with your fiancé, including letters, emails, phone records, and screenshots of text messages or online chats. This evidence can help demonstrate the depth and continuity of your relationship.

Visit Documentation: If you have visited each other in person, provide evidence of your visits, such as travel itineraries, boarding passes, hotel reservations, and photos from your time together.

Financial Documentation: If you have combined finances or shared financial responsibilities, provide evidence such as joint bank account statements, joint leases or utility bills, or evidence of shared expenses.

Social Media Evidence: Provide evidence from social media platforms that illustrate your relationship, such as photos together, status updates, comments on each other's posts, and any other interactions that demonstrate your connection.

Engagement Documentation: If applicable, provide evidence of your engagement, such as an engagement ring receipt, photos of the proposal, or announcements of your engagement to friends and family.

Personal Statements: Write personal statements describing how you met, how your relationship developed, and your plans for marriage. Be detailed and sincere in your statements.

Supporting Documents: Include any additional supporting documents that help to paint a comprehensive picture of your relationship, such as letters, cards, or gifts exchanged between you and your fiancé.

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

What percentage of K1 visas are approved?

According to the US Department of State's website and Visa Grader acceptance rates are around 85%.

In 2021 there was an 82.22% approval rate and a 17.78% denial rate.

In 2022 86.99% approval rate and a 13.01% denial rate.

Icon - Elements Webflow Library - BRIX Templates

Need Help Getting a K1 Visa?

Get a free consultation with our legal experts
Request Consultation